Self portraits are used as a means of introspection and self-awareness. It is meant to help us better understand who we are, our flaws and virtues, and our motivations and intentions, to make the most of our life. I believe there is wisdom in these self portrait quotes and they can help us decode life.
Self-portraits are among the most familiar of all forms of portraiture in Western culture. They’re very simple and easy to do, and also provide you with a lot of flexibility when choosing what elements to include in your picture. While some people may think that taking a picture of yourself is narcissistic or even exhibitionist, there’s a place for it in nearly every photography niche.
These self portrait quotes are a fun addition to any room’s décor especially when it is framed. They talk about self-love and self-worth. These are easy to DIY and can dress up bare walls in an instant. Transform your room with just a little personalization, and enjoy the positive movement your space has gained from the self portrait quotes you have hung!
Self Portrait Quotes
A self portrait is a snapshot of a moment in time, it’s not necessarily the best version of yourself. It’s a representation of who you are and one way to reflect on your journey so far. Take a self portrait and record the story behind it.
1. The best self portrait is the one that says what you’ve always wanted to say without saying anything at all.
2. The best photos of you are the ones that make you pause, take a breath and reflect.
3. Let your inner light shine through and let people know that you are bright, joyful, and positive.
4. A self portrait is so much more than a simple photo of your face. It’s an opportunity to show your best self, and it needs to be perfect.
5. A great self portrait begins with a strong foundation. It requires commitment, discipline and patience to create a ‘you’ that you are truly proud of.
6. Beautiful is a state of mind. It is who you are inside and out.
7. A picture is worth a thousand words, but you can put a lot more into a single one and that’s your self portrait.
8. This is a picture of you, what you see is what you get. No need to fake it.
9. A self portrait is a snapshot of your soul. Your self portrait is your biggest ally!
10. A self portrait is an act of honesty. You don’t have to be perfect to take a good picture.
11. The perfect self portrait has nothing to do with what you look like—it’s about being happy and having fun.
12. A self portrait is simply being at one’s best, you don’t try to impress anyone.
13. Your self portrait is you. It tells the story of what you are and what you’ve been through.
14. You can tell a lot about someone by how they look in a photo. A self-portrait is a great way to show you how the world sees you.
15. Your self-portrait is the mirror of what you have been reflecting all along.
16. There’s no better way to start the day than by waking up to a photo of yourself looking awesome.
17. I like how I look in this picture. Sometimes I just sit and stare at it for a minute. It inspires me to keep going.
18. Don’t be afraid to show the world who you are. That’s what self portraits are for!
19. Always remember that a self portrait is the best kind of personal essay.
20. I need more from all this self-improvement. But now I just want to look good in pictures.
21. You only get one shot at being your best self. Take it, that’s a self-portrait for you.
22. My face doesn’t have to look perfect—it’s what’s on the inside of me that matters.
23. I hope we all start to feel the same way when we look in the mirror. Most importantly, I hope these self portrait quotes capture how you feel when you see your reflection.
24. Take care of your mind and body, they’re the only true treasure you possess.
25. A self portrait is a silent monologue, it speaks more about the artist than about the subject.
26. Self-portrait is a beautiful portrait of oneself. Take a picture of who you want to be. Then make that person the face of your future.
27. How you view yourself is how others will see you.
28. We all need a moment to stop and reflect on who we are and what we’ve accomplished.
28. A portrait is a reflection of who you are, not who you want to be.
29. Life is like a photograph, it only takes one second to capture but a lifetime to appreciate.
30. Turn on your mirror and take it seriously. It’s the only one you’ll ever have.
31. A self portrait is a way of looking at yourself, a way to see your own thoughts and emotions reflected in your face.
32. Capturing true self-portraits is a unique experience. Each portrait is a personal story that tells a different story about the person behind the camera lens.
33. You are the most beautiful and unique creation on the planet. You are the most important person in this world, and the only one you need to impress is yourself.
34. You should never forget that your face is the most important part of who you are.
35. Bring your best self to work, and let your portrait remind you why you deserve a happy and healthy life!
36. Only the one who sees his own image in a mirror can do true vanity.
37. Seeing yourself in a new light is always a good thing.
38. The most important thing is to keep growing and keep learning.
39. A good portrait is the result of long preparation and reflection.
40. A true portrait of who we are as individuals are not found on the walls of our homes or offices, but rather in the journey of our lives.
41. Take a self portrait and let the world see what you are made of.
42. You’re not defined by what happened to you, but by how you handle it.
43. Self Portrait is a reminder that you are beautiful, amazing, and loved by all.
44. From the perspective of the photographer, what’s most important is that there’s a little bit of light in your soul.
45. Holding the camera, it’s like holding a mirror to my true self.
46. The best picture of you is the one that captures your essence.
47. Let’s stop pretending to be someone we’re not, and start being real. You don’t have to be perfect to be amazing, just a work in progress.
48. I’m the best version of myself when I’m alone; I go to that place where self-care is a necessity.
49. Sometimes, our best self-portraits are taken in the mirror — and sometimes they’re not.
50. Taking a selfie is not about the camera, it’s about you.
You are never too old to set a goal, and you are never too busy to start today. Bottom line? Be the kind of person you want to be, not the kind of person you think you’re supposed to be. The sooner you realize that no one is watching and judging your every action, the sooner you’ll stop wasting energy on impressing people who barely care about your existence. That’s the purpose of these self portrait quotes.
What’s your favourite self-portrait quote? Why do you like it? Where do you use it? Share with me in the comment section, I’ll be waiting!