Graffiti artists are a special breed of people. They see the world; differently, they see it as a blank canvas, and they are not afraid to use their skills to express themselves. Those who don’t understand the culture and what graffiti can mean often misunderstand their art.
A graffiti artist may be the most creative person in your life, and you never even know it. They are artists constantly inspired by everything around them, creating masterpieces on walls, trains and subway cars.
All graffiti artists have their unique styles and their motives for creating graffiti. Graffiti art is a universal subject, artistic and complex, but it has its language. These graffiti artist quotes will make you feel better about yourself and the world around you.
Graffiti Artist Quotes
As graffiti artists, we take meaning from the city. We paint walls so those who don’t understand what’s happening can see and feel it. This is why we are called creators, not destroyers.
1. I think graffiti is like art differently. It’s not just about saying a message. It’s about what colour you choose to print it.
2. To be a graffiti artist is to see the world through the prism of art, not science.
3. Graffiti artists are rebels of the streets. They don’t wait for permission to paint, they break the rules and make whatever they can.
4. These artists see the blank wall not as an obstacle but as a canvas for their creativity and imagination. Beyond the wall, we find self-expression, freedom, and originality. Graffiti is the raw soul of the city.
5. My work is an extension of who I am as a person, and vice versa — so, if someone doesn’t like my work, they probably don’t like me either! And that’s fine; we don’t have to be friends!
6. Graffiti was never just about the art, the colours, or even the letters — it was always about the movement and the lifestyle — breaking free from society and creating something new out of nothing but spray paint cans, cardboard boxes and imagination.
7. Graffiti is a lifestyle that has shaped me into who I am today. It has taught me many things about life, society, politics and economics but more importantly, how to appreciate art.
8. As a graffiti artist, you should never forget that your craft is an art. It does not just spray paint some letters on the wall.
9. Graffiti artists are modern-day rebels. They find new ways to express themselves and they refuse to compromise their values.
10. The beauty of graffiti is that it is an expression of the artist, not a copy of any other artist.
11. Many people think graffiti is all about spray paint and tags, but it’s about the train ride home.
12. Graffiti is a beautiful thing. It is how we communicate with each other, try to say something or express an idea that can’t be said in words, especially on a commercial billboard.
13. You never know where or when someone is going to see your art. You have to risks because that person may be the next big thing.
14. You never know who’s going to see your work, so you have to make that gamble. Who knows? That person may be the next big thing.
15. It’s a risk you have to take. Your art may be seen by future clients or those just looking for the next big thing.
16. Graffiti is an art form that anyone can do. You need to be brave enough to do it.
17. The street is the greatest teacher because of the number of people you meet and the things you see.
18. When you paint, you don’t want to go to the gallery. You want to stay in your little world. That’s what makes it good.
19. We’re all wondering what we can learn from the universe, maybe it’s better to be silent and still than to speak and lose your voice.
20. When I paint my graffiti, I paint a future. The future of the city where I live, where all my friends and family come from. It’s important to me that people recognize those pictures as part of who we are. And hopefully, they can see it in their city someday.
21. There is a time to be silent and a time to speak. There is a time for everything. In graffiti, there’s no better way of communicating your message than through colour on the wall.
22. Graffiti does not reproduce; it transcends. Paint your life, don’t let it paint you.
23. When you paint, don’t look for inspiration. Just look for what’s there and put it down on paper.
24. Every day, it’s always something new. Never stop pushing yourself to grow.
25. You’re a graffiti artist. And every wall you paint is your canvas. Go out there and leave a mark!
26. Graffiti art is about creating something beautiful in a world where it does not belong. It’s about making the world a little more interesting.
27. A graffiti artist is not someone who paints on walls; it’s someone who paints on the walls of others.
28. Graffiti is a visual expression that can communicate messages, thoughts, feelings and experiences.
29. I’m not a writer; I’m an illustrator. I love using words to tell stories. The scribble is the foundation for my art, but the picture is what you see when you look at it.
30. Some say that graffiti is a form of art, and some say it’s vandalism. To me, it’s both. It’s about making a statement and having fun at the same time.
31. Be yourself. Be brave enough to live an authentic life. Take risks every day, even if they are small. Always look at the bright side of things. Feel free to experiment with new art forms, and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
32. I was about as happy as I could be. I was at the peak of my power and what I did best. I wouldn’t say I liked that I had to go home and be some corporate enslaved person, but those were the cards life had dealt me.
33. Street art is not about tagging; it’s about creating a story that people can relate to and participate in.
34. Graffiti is a subversive art form born of anger and despair. It’s the visual language of an entire generation—we don’t need to be told what to think.
35. You can’t paint a masterpiece unless you have a God-given passion for beauty.
36. You can try to control the world with your art, but it’ll never be enough. You’ve got to start controlling yourself first.
37. A graffiti artist is someone who is constantly creating time. I feel bothered when you work on new things.
38. If you skate with people who skate, your view of life changes. You see possibilities where most people see obstacles. See opportunities where most people see limitations.
39. Do not be afraid to follow your dreams. No one will remember how hard you worked to achieve them a hundred years from now. But you will always be remembered for following your heart.
40. Graffiti is a form of art that allows people to express their thoughts, feelings and emotions on the city’s walls.
41. I don’t see graffiti as a creative medium—art is in the act of creating it.
42. Graffiti is an efficient, powerful form of communication that tells a story in its own right.
43. I feel like there’s something that you should know about me. It’s my art form; it is. I think I’m pretty good at it.
44. Real talent is being able to make a mistake. A real artist makes it look easy.
45. I would like to understand that sometimes we’re stuck in our roles and can’t break out of them to see the world beyond. And there’s nothing wrong with that!
46. What makes a graffiti artist? Someone who respects art above everyone wants to be the best at what they do and will never stop pushing themselves.
47. Graffiti is my art form, and it’s all about expression. Let me paint what I want to paint.
48. I don’t paint on walls to make them look pretty. I paint for my reasons. They’re a part of me.
49. The most beautiful thing you can do for the world is live in it and make it beautiful.
50. I’m all about the art and life of being a graffiti artist. It’s not always easy, but if you keep going it’ll be over soon enough.
51. Graffiti is the perfect blend of art, music and fashion. It’s not just about the art, it’s about the community.
52. Graffiti is a way to see the world and make it a little warmer. To express yourself, make your mark in the world and become the artist you are.
53. I paint a picture of an inner world. I am the only person who can see it—but I will never show it to you.
54. Live your life how you want. Show the world who you are. Live every moment without regrets because they will always come with time.
55. Life is too short to be anything but what you are. Own your story and stop pretending.
56. Graffiti artists are like barbers; they create something out of nothing. If a barber has no scissors, he will still cut your hair.
57. Graffiti is an art form. It’s not a crime. It’s an expression. Tag with love
58. If you are interested in graffiti, join the movement. If you have a dream, paint it. If you want to be famous, become a street artist.
59. Graffiti is the art of public space. You should always use your imagination and express your feelings through the medium of graffiti.
60. I’m an artist, and that’s what I am. I use beauty in my work because people want to see beauty. If you get too caught up in the idea of destruction, it takes much of the fun out of your actions. You’ve got to have respect for the buildings and the people who live in those buildings and walk by them every day.
61. Street art is a reflection of someone’s belief in themselves, their community and the world.
62. It’s not what you paint on a wall; it’s what you look at behind the wall that matters.
63. Get the art on your walls. Say it out loud; think it in ink. The more we speak, the more we are ourselves.
64. I speak of the city as it is: a chaotic place where everything has its significance. There are no obvious ways in, only exit ways. The only way to survive is to create meaning from each new moment.
65. We all have a place to go, a story to tell, and the courage to keep going.
66. Life is about having the courage to let go and never knowing where your next adventure will take you.
Graffiti is more than just a form of expression; it’s an art form. For graffiti artists, these quotes inspire them to do their best work and hope that it isn’t removed. It motivates them to make something beautiful where others see nothing but horror. It inspires people worldwide, from all walks of life, to put their differences aside and come together to appreciate the arts.
So, there you have it. We hope you found this roundup of graffiti artist quotes helpful and perhaps even inspiring. Whatever you choose to create, the graffiti artist quotes will assist you through the process and ultimately guide you to success. Be sure to keep this in mind as you move forward on your artistic journey.