In a basketball game, an underdog refers to whichever one of those two teams has less chance of winning the game. It refers to a team or a member of the team that people expect to lose. Aside from this meaning, an underdog is defined by lacking the advantages or qualities of its opponent.
To be an underdog is often to be overlooked, dismissed and underestimated by others. It’s to go up against a stronger or more widely supported competition with the result predicted by everyone else to go one way.
Howbeit, this is attractive to some players, such as those who like taking on the challenge of beating the odds and to others it can seem to spell doom when they’ll need a stroke of good luck just to stand alongside their competitors.
Quite a number of quotes have been written about the underdog in basketball. Well, for the best of them all, check the following underdog quotes for basketball.
Underdog Quotes for Basketball
The underdog never loses. The favourite always does. Basketball is a game of adjustments. The more mistakes you make, the more adjustments you need to make. So don’t worry about making mistakes, just focus on doing the things right.
1. When you’re playing the underdog, you’ve got to believe that you can beat anyone. If you don’t, then you’ll never win.
2. When you’re the underdog, it means you’ve got something special. You’re in with a shot. The underdog never quits. The best is yet to come.
3. The best defence is a good offence. A good shooter passes, and a great shooter makes. If you can’t beat them, join them.
4. Every underdog basketball team that comes out victorious and wins the game is a result of hard work, perseverance, and positive thinking.
5. When you’re an underdog, it’s up to you. The underdog is never a loser. He may look feeble, but he’s really quite strong.
6. Underdogs do not choose to be underdogs. They believe in themselves and refuse to give up.
7. The underdog never stops fighting. The underdog is more than a hero, you are a champion. What happens when you’re an underdog? You fight. You don’t give up. And you win.
8. The underdog never quits. I’m not the biggest or the strongest. But I play the game the best way I know how, and I never give up.
9. The underdog is a person who doesn’t believe they are capable of achieving success but somehow they end up winning anyway.
10. When you’re the underdog, no one expects anything from you. But when you give yourself a chance to win, it’s amazing what can happen.
11. It takes a whole team, not an individual, to create a winning season. Good things come to those who hustle. Just keep your head down, work hard and never give up.
12. All great things are born of failure. Basketball may be a great equalizer, but it’s also a sport where the underdog can make their mark.
13. You win some, you lose some. But never give up on yourself. Never let your head drop low. Keep your chin up, and keep working hard. And one day, you will be no one’s underdog.
14. The underdog is the one who never gives up, the one who doesn’t let anything stand in his or her way. The little guy always finds a way to overcome the odds and win.
15. The underdog has to be strong enough to win, and smart enough to know when to stop. Basketball is a game of will, determination, as well as hard work. All it takes is one shot to win or lose.
16. There is no problem that cannot be solved with enough determination and effort. Show me a team with an underdog spirit, and I’ll show you a team that will win.
17. The underdog never wins. When the odds are against you, don’t give up. Even when you’re down, you’re never out.
18. Never give up. Never surrender. It’s not the size of your heart, but the size of your goals. As the underdog, you have to be ready for the challenge. When you’re down and out, it’s time to turn it up and get back in the game.
19. When you’re down and out, just remember that every good team had an underdog. The underdog always has something to prove. Nobody likes a loser. But everybody wants to win.
20. Underdogs don’t come from being better than everyone else, they come from not being afraid to dream bigger than everyone else.
21. When you have a dream and work hard to achieve it, it doesn’t matter if the world is on your side or against you, as long as you keep pushing forward. Be the underdog. Be the one who shows up, puts the work in and gets better every day.
22. Everyone has an underdog story. Get yours out there and win the game. Underdogs don’t always win, but they never quit. You have to appreciate the little things in life. Like when the underdog wins.
23. The underdog never has to fight the odds. He makes them fight him because every game is a battle!
24. Don’t get comfortable. Keep pushing, keep moving forward and always remember: the underdog always wins when no one expects him to.
25. You’re not as good of a basketball player as you think you are. You just don’t know it yet. When you’re an underdog, it takes more than talent to win.
26. The underdogs always have a chance. Always. Underdogs don’t always win. But the great ones never quit.
27. At the bottom of the ladder, you will always find a champion. When the odds are stacked against you, just keep fighting.
28. The game has always been ‘up’ to me. Up until this point I’ve been the underdog, but with my teammates and coaches behind me, I believe we can win.
29. When you’re the underdog, you have to fight for everything . . . and sometimes that means giving up on something. But never give up on yourself.
30. We win games, we lose games. But most importantly, we learn and grow from every moment of the season. That’s what makes us better men and teammates.
31. Basketball is a game of underdogs. With the odds stacked against you, with everyone saying this is impossible, you’ve got to believe that you can do it. That’s the only way you’ll ever reach your potential.
32. They’re the underdogs. They always have been. All they need is a chance. In the end, the underdog always wins.
33. Just like a good underdog story, there’s no stopping the future of basketball. But if you want to write your own story of success, you better get with it now.
34. It’s all about hustling and grinding, when the underdog wins they get all the glory but when they lose they’re told to just keep on playing.
35. Never underestimate the power of a team of players who believe in their ability to win. When you are an underdog, you have to believe in yourself more than the others do.
36. You can’t be the best without being the underdog. Being the underdog doesn’t mean you’re an underdog. It just means you’re a winner.
37. When it comes to the underdog, you’ve got to be more than your opponent. You’ve got to be better.
38. It takes a lot of work to be an underdog, but it only takes one punch to become the champion.
39. The underdog is the one who never gives up, who keeps coming back for more, who refuses to quit and always finds a way.
40. It’s always great to see an underdog win, but it’s even better when everyone knows what you’re going through and rallies behind you.
41. It’s about having the strength to be a challenger, not an underdog. Being the best doesn’t always mean winning.
42. You can’t always win, but you can play. There’s always a bigger dog in the fight. When the odds are stacked against you, find a way to be a hero.
43. If you want to succeed, then you must fail. And the most important thing is to learn from your mistakes. Never underestimate your limits, never exceed them.
44. It’s always going to be the underdog in your life that makes you feel like the champion. True hustle is when you go out there and make it rain.
45. There is no better feeling than winning when you’re down as an underdog.
46. In life, there are no second chances. There’s only one chance and you’re going to have to make it count Look, it’s not about being perfect. It’s about making the most out of what you got.
47. The underdog. The team that loses every game, but has put up numbers that would make any other team jealous. We’ve had a lot of great players who were supposed to be special, but they were all underdogs, to begin with.
48. We win as a team, we lose as a team and that’s what makes us stronger. Do you see the glass as half full, or half empty? The right answer is always underdogs.
49. If you want to succeed, you have to think like a winner. Never give up. Never surrender. It’s always going to be a challenge to stop being an underdog.
50. Underdogs make champions. That’s the lesson of every championship team, and what we’re focusing on with Champions for basketball.
Quotes about the underdog in basketball enlighten, inspire and motivate players. And I’m sure the underdog quotes for basketball here did that and more for you. You could let me know in the comment section.