100 Inspirational Messages for a Friend
1. Test intentions, don't test boundaries...
You always need good people climbing up the ladder of life.
2. Share dreams with kindred spirits, letting in others who don't understand your dreams can only draw you back. You don't want to live life trying to balance between yours and theirs.
3. Be wary of those who tell you what to think. People who love you help to develop your thought processes, it is yours to keep.
4. Be wary of those who are not in your skin but assume they have the right to speak on your behalf. Assumptions are the bane of our world and silence a killer. Let no man speak your mind for you as long as you carry it around in your body.
5. You have no reason to limit yourself because of the dictates of the society. The society makes it seem average is good enough a lifestyle because it diverts attention to failure and takes attention away from successes by encouraging you to be "humble."
So, revel in your difference, choosing not to be average, or live according to the dictates of culture.
6. Failure is allowed, what's not allowed is making a permanent abode of it. Climb with it, rise above the taunts and remain unruffled.
7. Dreams don't die, they have no ability to make themselves... What kills dreams are around and about us, it is your duty to recognise and disallow them from killing yours.
8. Confidence isn't the easiest thing in the world to build. Many experiences from the past and present intrude in its growth. Grow it anyway, and deliberately too, by appreciating your qualities. Soon you'll soar...
9. Take note, every relationship must be symbiotic. All sides must give something for a relationship to stay healthy. When a relationship is parasitic, the host always dies.
10. Do not bend over backwards for anyone, it's a signal of self-sabotage and inferiority complex. Sacrificing yourself at the altar of friendship at all times is not a good idea of friendship.
11. Don't worry for a second. Let strategic thinking take the place of worry and solutions will find its way to you.
12. You cannot isolate yourself, yet you cannot afford to mingle with a wrong crowd. Choose your associates wisely, every one you meet has a role to play in the little or larger picture. And make them play their roles especially when you play yours very well.
13. Make a habit of reading, a renewable mind is a progressive mind. When a mind is already expanded, there's hardly room for impossibility.
14. You cannot afford to live through life with a heavy load of sentiments. Recognise it when you're being used. Don't allow it, you're not a commodity, you're value added. If a person cannot recognise this and treat you as well, you have no business being with them.
15. Cliques/groups are easy to form, always take time to find out the aims and objectives of the ones you find yourself before you tag along. Associations are mostly labels, it's the first thing observed within a larger group.
16. "I don't care" is the language of the visionless. If it's not for a greater cause, a brighter future, advancement of your image, you have every reason to care. Straighten it, or get totally out of it.
17. Take time to work on the outward as well as the inward. Image is everything. The first twenty seconds of a fresh contact is engaged to assess the newcomer. Make the most of it, you may never have another chance.
18. Be mindful to say what you mean, be sure your message is delivered exactly as you intended. Always remember that for every group you address, there's a little someone looking up to you. One life should not be ruined because of your carelessness.
19. Suit yourself. Don't live through life bending and adjusting to other people's ideas of you, rather let your perspectives be shaped and sharpened by them. In the end, everyone has a destination and building their empires, they merely recruit others to build it. Don't be lost in building others and lose sight of building yours.
20. The world is global but individuality is what sells, that exceptional ability you possess which makes you a unique being. That is the attraction, explore it to its fullest, but do not manipulate it.
21. Take the blame when you go wrong. Do not also fail to apologise whether or not the wrong is obvious. Accepting blame and apologising are the simplest ways to be responsible and humble.
22. Friends are easy to influence. Better treat followers, servants, children, and mentees as friends to make lasting impressions.
23. Storms rage fiercely in their time, but then at another time, comes calm like the dove. Nothing lasts for a lifetime, you inclusive.
24. Leadership is both learned and natural. To lead, you must learn to follow. There's a time to learn the ropes, there's a time to practise the creativity of ropes tying. Remember that for the long journey of leadership, you keep following as you lead - by reading, learning, recognising new talents, harnessing strengths and developing others.
25. Leadership is not about you, it's a collective responsibility - isolating yourself from a group's failure is a reflection of incompetence.
26. Choose your idols wisely. Influencers have been known to redirect well-meaning lives for destruction. Many lives were filled with hate because Adolf Hitler influenced them.
27. Nothing that breaths operates mechanically, always add the human touch when living beings work with you. Humans thrive on compliments and recognition.
28. It's okay to have goals but it's smarter to work towards achieving the goals. A goal will retain its name on paper until the end of time. Its achievement will touch generations until the end of time.
29. Sometimes, life is overwhelming and it seems one is sinking in a whirling ocean. Don't take life too seriously, nothing is a do or die affair if a step goes completely wrong, take another step, and another step and then another step, each with a little touch of difference until you hit the right direction, never give in to the raging storm.
30. The importance given to tradition is over-romanticised, don't let it direct your lifestyle. Rather, create a tradition that works for your vision in life. No great person followed tradition to the letter, they always create the spectacular out of the regular.
31. Keep this hard fact in mind, not all trees give shade. Not all friends or family members will protect you, find your most valuable umbrage and employ its advantages all the time.
32. Learn to fight your battles, if you cannot fight for yourself, you definitely cannot fight for others.
33. Forgiveness is good for you, but don't trust repeatedly one who has repeatedly disappointed you. If s/he did it once, s/he will do it again.
34. A poor background is not a death sentence, the inability to learn and unlearn is the real killer of the living dead.
35. Giving respect and treating others like you desire to be treated is not gender specific. It is humanity, and you'll need it at every point in life.
36. Make a smart choice to befriend smart, beautiful, intelligent people. The society may have groomed you to cower before such people but don't let any kind of animus bury you.
37. Don't get busy analysing what a person should be or not be and leave only Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Dangote to move the world forward whilst you remain the King Kong of a pigeonhole.
38. The earth revolves around the sun, you are just one of the inhabitants of the earth, and so you should know you cannot hold the earth. Move along, take new ideas and innovations, and keep moving.
39. Don't walk blindly in the paths of your savage fathers so that your "Africanness" may be authenticated and validated. Just know that when it's really utterly cool, there's no point seeking validation and authentication.
40. Do not assume brains are created only for your kind, take lessons from as many people as you can, even animals. Limiting yourself to the acquisition of knowledge from other kinds is entirely your fault.
41. Has it occurred to you that the communal failure of that last generation may reproduce itself in you? You have no reason to do anything the way your father did. Failure is not so attractive.
42. Society may likely define for you the wrong qualification for leadership, don't you carry it around like a badge, insisting on repeated norms that have made no significant change. Redefine leadership by your actions and achievements.
43. Be mindful of the battles you choose to fight and the friends you choose to tag along with. Winning battles cannot be fought all by yourself.
44. Until you face difficult situations, you never know the amount of strength residing within you.
45. The world is fair to all, it has everything therein to sustain mankind. What is unfair is the people of the world, take caution from them.
46. A Bandwagon is a vehicle as well as a mentality. Everybody who gets on the vehicle automatically inherits the mentality. Take care not to follow the crowd on a bandwagon, tow your path, the best way you know how.
47. Take note of cultural transposition taking place around and about you. To be successful, you must note of cultural changes and be sensitive to your environmental changes. No man lives in a vacuum.
48. In a new environment, be it the workplace, school, town or city, the first thing to do is to study their history. It gives you an edge over others when you already know the nuances and philosophy upon which they operate.
49. Own your decision. Many advise will come as to what to do with anything that has to do with you. Don't let others' decisions take control of your life.
50. Every day is a deja vu experience, for the day must break and night must fall. Every day is a revolving cycle, for as night comes in the dark, so it leads to daytime. For as long as you're here, so are day and night, work around them.
51. Between day and night the world conspires, it wants you to remember your failings and NOT your successes, it likes to pin you into disadvantaged positions. Just know this, you don't have to accept the limitations placed by the world.
52. Where you excel, the world calls for humility, you're encouraged to NOT take note of it. Where you fail, the world calls it a correction and makes so much noise about it. And so the world makes average a lifestyle because it diverts attention to failure. Sing your lyrics, blow your trumpet, the average is never the option of a winner.
53. Dare to be different and revel in your difference, choosing not to be average, or live according to the dictates of culture. The ones who dared were the only ones who changed the world.
54. Whatever you do, take records, your life is a chronicle. To be sure of where you're going, take note of where you're coming from.
55. Be confident, but you'll be weak sometimes, strong sometimes. You will cry, laugh, love, "un-love," lose, gain, but never be ashamed to say so. You're still human after all.
56. Don't lose sleep over what people call you, they secretly wish they were like you. Never mind if they say you're not their kind, know that they secretly wish to be yours.
57. The best thing you can do in life is to learn to be yourself. That is super-liberating.
58. Shaming is the game of our world, people will make you feel shame for the rough path you have walked even though they've been through same and did not call it a shame. All I can say is raise your head high no matter the shame, it's only for a while.
59. Be shameless... Let nobody's tag chain you any more to rough terrains. No path is smooth even for those who shame you.
60. From today, fail to adopt the world's definition of "humble" for your life, for it strips you of your rights to own your strengths and weaknesses.
61. Excuses are killers, the moment you start living with excuses, you take away from yourself the right to be fallible as human, there's always someone or something to blame it on. Inadvertently, you also take away your right, even the strength, to rise again.
62. Teach yourself not to feel intimidated by any successful individual, so you wouldn't have to give yourself up as "little."
63. No two people think alike, a formation of opinions are dependent on a variety of things. So don't assume anything, seek clarifications for everything you don't understand.
64. Don't make that decision until you have made adequate research on the subject. Make informed decisions about everything, it's a lifesaver.
65. Loyalty cannot be forced. Everyone gives what s/he has, the only thing you're capable of giving is whatever is deposited within you. Give it to earn it.
66. Duplicate and re-invent yourself in other people. Nothing has to stop if ever you're unavailable.
67. Every job, even your way of life is a cause all by itself. It is an advancement of a belief system. You don't know who you influence or disappoint in the process of running your life.
68. Never be totally dependent on money, seek knowledge above all. Riches do not stand a person good stead like values imbued and imbibed.
69. Take time to listen and understand the viewpoints of others, it's important for smooth running of an empire.
70. Be friendly, but bear in mind that not everyone will like you and that's okay. Concentrate your energy on positive people.
71. Make promises only when you can keep them, your integrity is directly connected with your spoken word.
72. Argue to learn, expound your position and project fresh ideas, Do not argue to win, in reality, nobody wins an argument only egos are wounded.
73. The best investment you would make in life are not businesses and shares but people. Nothing works without good people, tend them like plants and they will yield good fruits.
74. In all your dealings, make a point of planting trees that outlive you. Manage all things by making, at least, 20-year projections. Instant gratification is the killer of continuity of good legacy.
75. Look around you, there's something you can do for the good of your community. Remember you take from that community, giving back is only fair.
76. You can't afford to be rude. Rudeness tears through the heart, no matter how great a person you consider yourself, it'll stain your reputation over and over again.
77. The first desire of every man is to feel wanted and loved. Truth is, you have the ability to give it. You gain a loyalty with everyone you give these.
- Written By Olubunmi Famuyiwa.